In Episode 10 of apolitical we speak with Colin Fox, National co-spokesperson of the Scottish Socialist Party and a former MSP. We chat about his introduction to politics and activism; his disenchantment with the Scottish Labour Party; the decline in support for the SSP over the past decade; and what the future holds for the Left in Scotland.
Amongst the topics we discuss with Colin on the podcast are:
• His introduction to politics as a young man;
• The challenge of being a socialist in the Scottish Labour Party;
• Progressing from Labour to a separate Socialist platform;
• His political icon;
• Whether a Socialist party has any relevance to 21st century politics;
• What the alliance between the SSP and the Left Project is and what it means;
• Where the two groups differ;
• What caused the SSP’s decline in fortunes after the 2003 Holyrood elections;
• The impact of Tommy Sheridan’s libel action and subsequent trial for perjury on the SSP;
• How to distinguish between the parties on the Left in Scotland; and
• What he sees as the biggest issue in Scottish politics today.
Please join us in discussing these issues or any other raised in the podcast below, or find us on Twitter at @apoliticalpod.