In Episode 18 of Apolitical we speak with Carolyn Scott who is a writer, presenter and producer on NewsShaft and a founder of News Scotland CIC. We chat about ‘new media’, News Scotland CIC’s programming and her interest in issue-based politics.
Amongst the topics we discuss with Carolyn on the podcast are:
• Her introduction to political activism;
• Whether she has ambitions of a career in politics;
• The genesis of News Scotland CIC;
• The strengths of developing ‘new media’ sources in Scotland;
• The benefits and drawbacks of online-only media;
• Why News Scotland didn’t eventually launch a Scottish digital TV channel;
• What ‘new media’ offers that traditional media doesn’t;
• Sustainable funding models for ‘new media’;
• NewsShaft and other News Scotland CIC projects;
• Her approach to issue-based politics and whether causes are being overwhelmed by the independence movement;
• The case for electoral reform at Westminster; and
• Her assessment of the future for ‘new media’ and News Scotland CIC.
Please join us in discussing these issues or any other raised in the podcast below, or find us on Twitter at @apoliticalpod.