In Episode 20 of Apolitical we speak with David Clegg, the Daily Record’s Political Editor and reigning Scottish Political Journalist of the Year. We chat about his work; the Daily Record’s decision to endorse Jeremy Corbyn for the Labour Party leadership; the challenges facing traditional media outlets as they adapt to developing technology and changing consumer behaviours; and his experiences covering the Referendum and General Election over the past couple of years – including a look at “The Vow”.
Amongst the topics we discuss with David on the podcast are:
• The career path that brought him to the Daily Record;
• How the Record came to be endorsing Jeremy Corbyn;
• What that decision means for the paper’s approach if another candidate is successful;
• Whether the prospect of conflict between Kezia Dugdale and Corbyn is appealing;
• The challenges facing traditional media outlets with the decline in newspaper circulation;
• His feelings on social media and the value of Twitter as a journalistic tool;
• His memories of covering the Referendum and how the General Election campaign felt different;
• Whether the “Vow” has achieved what the Record hoped it would.
Please join us in discussing these issues or any other raised in the podcast below, or find us on Twitter at @apoliticalpod.