In Episode 23 of Apolitical we speak with John MacKay, the STV anchorman and author whose new book, Notes of a Newsman, tracks the changes in Scotland over his career. We chat about his work; memorable moments from a long news career; and about the inspiration behind his new book.
Amongst the topics we discuss with John on the podcast are:
• His interest in politics and how it led to a career in journalism;
• Starting his professional life at the Sunday Post and his dreams of working at the Evening Times;
• How he made the leap into broadcast journalism;
• Life at the BBC as a young newsman;
• The fascinating story behind his switch to STV;
• Highlights of his broadcasting career;
• The inspiration behind Notes of a Newsman;
• Covering Scotland’s independence referendum and his favourite moment of the campaign;
• A remarkable close-quarters encounter with a shirtless Alex Salmond;
•The uncertain future for political journalism in Scotland;
• The events he expects to make headlines in the year ahead.
Please join us in discussing these issues or any other raised in the podcast below, or find us on Twitter at @apoliticalpod.