In Episode 28 of Apolitical we speak with Jen Stout, a co-ordinator of the Scottish Land Action Movement. We chat about her interest in land reform, what it could mean for the people of Scotland and try to understand what constitutes a “Mugabe-style land grab”.
Amongst the topics we discuss with Jen on the podcast are:
• What the Scottish Land Action Movement is;
• Whether land reform is an issue that primarily interests the Left;
• If Land Reform and Scottish Independence are inextricably linked issues;
• Whether the SNP leadership has an appetite for genuinely radical land reform measures;
• A reflection on land reform measures implemented in Zimbabwe and how – if at all- they are reflected in proposals for Scotland;
• Whether she has sympathy for the perspective of land owners who perceive their property rights to be under threat;
• Concerns that community groups may lack the resources to maintain land and property to the same standards as private owners;
• Whether a Land Value Tax is regressive;
• How land reform could affect urban areas;
• How people interested in land reform can contribute to the debate.
Please join us in discussing these issues or any other raised in the podcast below, or find us on Twitter at @apoliticalpod.