In Episode 43 of Apolitical we welcome the Guardian’s Scotland Correspondent, Libby Brooks, to the show. Libby is an established part of the Guardian team and has been based in Glasgow since the 2014 Independence referendum.
Amongst the topics we discuss with Libby on the podcast are:
• The women who inspired her to get into journalism;
• Her perceptions of political life in Scotland compared to London;
• Recollections from writing her 2006 book, The Story of Childhood: Growing Up in Modern Britain;
• Gender balance in Scottish political journalism and Scottish politics;
• Political discourse in Scotland and in particular the term ‘ulsterisation’;
• Online abuse received by female writers and by Libby in particular;
• Deportation and covering the story of the Brain family;
• What makes her optimistic about life in Scotland today.
Please join us in discussing these issues or any other raised in the podcast below, or find us on Twitter at @apoliticalpod.